Chateau Aquitaine sets the scene for a new interpretation of castle life: sharing-aesthetic, philosophical and lifestyle values. Chateau Aquitaine is not a hotel but a family home; a luxurious sanctuary for rejuvenation, providing the opportunity to open ones self to art at nature’s own rhythm.
In an elegant and naturally beautiful setting, the chateau owners, the de Commarques, have perfected the art of hosting. Situtated in beautiful surroundings, the family have a deep affection for the environment and the arts which is palpable in all that they do. A family home for countless generations, Chateau Aquitaine is now the backdrop for the Commarques principles: and their love of philosophy and local cuisine.
The Commarques have two great loves, culture and agriculture and they hope to convey these through the values expressed by the estate thus, under one roof fine connaisseurs and travellers happily coexist alongside art and nature. Playing host to a secret society of artists, researchers and writers, Chateau Aquitaine aims to serve a noble cause: to work together, mindful of humanity and nature, providing a catalyst for positivity
Firmly rooted in its precious natural environment, the Chateau aims to respect the biodiversity of its land and its history.To that aim restoration of the grounds began in September 2018 with new landscaping and a fully functional kitchen garden.
Chateau Aquitaine is an ode to change, to creation, to sharing and a passion for nature. This holiday retreat is now the perfect location for marriages and large made to measure events, a sanctuary .... an artists’ residence and an independent stage for concerts and conferences alike.
This historic 1400 acre château and estate has two beautiful swimming pools, beautifully decorated bedrooms with four poster beds, 12 acres of garden in the heart of a large estate, external reception areas, over 150 varieties of roses, and has the benefit of having the discreet presence of chamber maids and gardening staff.
The interior design was based on a series of colour palettes and the decor is a mixture of contemporary furniture, 20th century pieces and family heirlooms.Wherever possible the restoration has reused materials from the chateau itself using local artisans who are passionate about historical buildings. The result gives it a neo-baroque feel. The chateau has an ever evolving look however, thanks to the curiosities garnered by the owners who travels to the 4 corners of the globe.
The main wing of Chateau Aquitaine has been completely restored and is the main stage for a happy and peaceful retreat: everyone is invited to cook, play, withdraw into corners to read, tinkle on the piano or to wander from room to room by night, putting the world to rights.
For centuries, this part of the chateau has been shared by family and friends alike. Each room has been decorated thematically: inspired by the location and reimagined. See for example the “sakura’ cherry trees, the walnut tree wood that is sourced from the very forests at Chateau Aquitaine or the psychedelic spirals, present in the dining room.
On the ground floor there are four reception rooms, a large dining room, a medieval kitchen as well as a more contemporary one for the resident chef.
There main wing of the Chateau consists of 6 suites with luxury double bedrooms and private bathroom and have full use of the whole chateau.
With an exceptionally high medieval vaulted ceiling dating from the 14th century, this double bedroom is a rare opportunity to experience a unique 14th / 21st century architecture and design. The suite faces the garden, the park and the forest. With designer made to measure furniture and a genuine marble bathroom.
Elegant and original, this is the largest (2 person) suite in the chateau. Royal, rich and opulent with touches of oriental splendour, this suite faces the garden, the park and the forest. With designer made to measure furniture and a genuine marble bathroom.
Exceptional bedroom for 2, suite Electra re-invents the idea of chateau living with its exciting, eclectic design and an open plan. With a freestanding bath tub in the room itself and antique perfectly preserved wallpaper, this suite faces the garden, the park and the forest.
A most characterful room, Alcyone Suite is ideal for passing cosy warm winter nights. The double bedroom suite for two faces the garden, the park and the forest. With designer made to measure furniture and a genuine marble bathroom.
Suite Poloris was designed with the family’s youngest member in mind. This new bedroom for 2 is based on the maritime dreams of the daughter.
At the very end of the corridor, this bright and spacious two person guest room dominates both the garden and the courtyard.
The independent Wing, Le Brantôme, can accommodate up to 6 guests. With its warm atmosphere this relaxed and luxurious space is speckled with antiquities and curiosities.On the ground floor is an elegant living room with an antique chimney, books and games and a fully equipped kitchen/dining room for 6. The kitchen gives onto a pretty little jasmin scented terrace, a perfect spot to take in the evening sun.
The wing also consists of three double bedrooms: respectively green, lilac and blue with tiled bathrooms. All three bedrooms overlook the rose bushes and lemon trees and get the morning sun but are in the shade during the hottest times of the day and so remain cool and comfortable.
Perched on the edge of a hill on the protected lands of what is known as “black” perigord, the estate benefits from a perfect geographical position in the heart of a lush valley in the Dordogne. Surrounded by lush gardens, valleys and woodland, the landscape invites you to find inner peace through contemplation of the exterior. The Chateau's structure built in golden stone, typical of the region, of the “black” Perigord, adds not only to the charm of the building but somehow to its spiritual warmth.There is an enchanting atmosphere to the Chateau... thanks somewhat to the lemon trees that border the courtyard or the climbing roses that scale the walls.The chateau and its estate are in fact protected by the Batiments de France the equivalent of the National Trust in Britain. The estate is approximately one kilometre from the south of the charming Peregourdin village of Urval itself home to a fortified church from the 11th century.
The Legend of the Castle:
A little known fact and unusual for France: this chateau has remained in the same family for generations never having been sold.Home to a flowery, vivacious and alternative family for more than 800 years... The Chateau has been formed, revolutionized and modernized by every different generation that it has harboured.On two separate occasions in fact, it was under the control of women, first in the middle ages and again in the 19th century: something that was truly unheard of in both eras. Today it is very much in the image of its patrons: an artist and a writer.
The Estate can be rented as a whole or separately depending on the wing of the property. To view the various options, please refer to the listings below:
Be sure to indicate which services you would like to have when making a request. Please note that optional services will incur additional cost.
This property does not adhere to ONEE Luxury Travel's Standard Payment Terms. Upon booking, a 30% deposit is required. The remaining balance, equal to 70% of the booking total amount, will be due 60 days prior to the arrival date.
This property does not follow ONEE Luxury Travel’s Standard Cancellation Policies. Upon booking, 30% of the booking becomes non-refundable. The remaining 70%, becomes non-refundable 60 days prior to the guests arrival. Please note that in the event of certain cancellations, the property manager will consider changing the dates of booking.
If you wish to request a cancellation, please do so via your ONEE 'My Reservations' page.
In case of Covid-19 travel or government restrictions such as a State of Alarm, close of borders, or suspension of opening to the public of tourist accommodation establishments, this Property Manager will consider postponement of reservations but cannot offer reimbursement. All Covid-19 cancellations will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.